Saturday, June 20, 2026

#824 > Dida Pelled - I Wish You Would~ (PhillyCheezeBlues.Blogspot.com)



2026 – La Reserve
Release Date : May 1, 2026
 
By Phillip Smith; June 20, 2026
Original source : phillycheezeblues.blogspot.com

 

As I listen in delight to Dida Pelled’s latest album I Wish You Would, I find myself absolutely swept off my feet from the sound of her voice.  Pelled, a Brooklyn-based jazz prodigy and host of The Dida Show on Radio Free Brooklyn, beautifully delivers nine scrumptious tracks of classic blues songs in her heart-melting, torch-singer style.  With Pelled on guitar and lead vocals, she is joined by Sullivan Fortner on piano/Rhodes, Tony Scherr on bass, and Kenny Wollesen on drums.

Pelled’s re-imagineering of John Lee Hooker’s “Dimples” ushers the record in a jazz-noir, be-bop fashion, and I love every bit of it.  Beautifully played and gorgeously sung, “Hesitation Blues” is breathed a new and much sexier life than the versions performed by Sixties blues-rock legends Hot Tuna and Janis Joplin which I cut my teeth on.  The classic 1945 Buddy Johnson ballad “Since I Fell For You” never sounded so good.  I dig the dreamy way she sings this one and how she gently decorates it with a George Benson-esque style of scat-vocalizing adjoining every note she plays on guitar.  Her recording of the 1930 classic “Sittin’ On Top of the World” from The Mississippi Sheiks elevates the song to a captivating whole new level.  Following next is an elegant, smooth-jazz cover of the theme for the 1942 film “Blues in the Night” which earned a nomination for an Academy Award for Best Original Song.  Her performance on this is positively stunning.     

Gifted with an amazing voice and a mastery of guitar, Dida Pelled collides the two worlds of jazz and blues, forging a tremendously remarkable listening experience with I Wish You Would.          

 ---

 

 

 

Available on Bandcamp


For more information about Dida Pelled, visit her website : https://didamusic.com/

For more information about The Dida Show, visit https://www.radiofreebrooklyn.org/show/the-dida-show/